November 07, 2007

RICKY-PIPPO AXIS

Kaká scored 70 goals with Milan, Inzaghi 86. But the numbers are not what counts. Most of all it's the understanding and collaboration between the two players. Yesterday night Pippo served an assist to Kaká and, like in Athens, viceversa...

MILAN - Here are the declarations from Filippo Inzaghi at the Donetsk airport just before leaving for Italy: "Yesterday's victory was an important one in the group. We knew it wasn't going to be an easy match because Shakhtar transform themselves at home. We played a good match and now we lead the group, which is what matters most to us. It's never easy to score a brace in the Champions League, but here at Milan there is a great team and there are champions who make things easier, Kaká and Pirlo are really good at putting you in the ideal conditions to score, but they're not the only ones, and it's not the first time they do it. I also enjoyed giving the assist to Kaká, especially because it rarely happens to a pure striker to give an assist, but I must say he did really well to score, it wasn't easy, I was in an easier position to score when he passed it to me. But aside from everything, the important thing is that I realised during this game I'm doing well. By now, after many years as a footballer, that hard work and a good condition pays off in the end."

Inzaghi continued: "When you come in from the bench and don't have much time to show what you can do, you can never be sure to score, but the nicest thing was the demonstration by the coach that he has trust in me and, as he had said already, he saw me work well. At 34 years of age I still don't mind training. Aside from that my relationship with European cups is something special, important, even though the truly unforgettable nights remain those of Manchester and Athens. The goals give satisfaction, but Manchester and Athens will remain indelible memories. But we never underestimate anything, also in the league we give our best. It's true, we have been struggling at San Siro, partly because it's difficult, and partly because of unfavorable episodes, but we will re-emerge. In any case the European competitions are the most important thing for any major club."

Then Pippo talked about his 62 European goals: "I remember the goal I scored at Parma, at the time I thought Altobelli's record of 39 goals was unreachable... But the biggest satisfaction is that I have managed 100 appearences, for a footballer playing games at this level is fundamental. I started thinking about Gerd Muller a few years ago, when I saw I was getting closer. In any case, you always have to keep proving yourself, even at my age. And when you're out of a few games, you have to do your best even more in training. I knew I was working well, it was all about finding the right moment, now the goals came last night but I also wanted to score against Torino. The 2002/2003 season? That was a magical year. But the truly important thing to me are the victories of the team, celebrating triumphs with the team is the best thing of all. Kaká and I showed we understand each other in Athens, when he did very well to give me the ball to score the second goal. Yesterday he also thought about me, I'm very happy to be playing alongside him. All in all I'm happy, I will try to continue doing well in the future and be ready to play whenever necessary. I'm feeling good, I have no pains, and I'm enjoying training."

No comments: